The date the item was original created (prior to any relationship with the ASU Digital Repositories.)
1942 to 1962
- Southeast Asia
- Buddha Muchalinda
- Sculpture, Buddhist
- Sculpture, Khmer
- Angkor Wat (Angkor)
- Suryavarman II, Emperor of Angkor, d. ca. 1150
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Vaishnava temples
- Temples, Hindu
- Temples, Buddhist
- Mount Meru
- temple mountain
- Angkor (Extinct city)
- Siĕmréab (Cambodia)
- Siem Reap
Collections this item is in
- ASU Libraries undertakes research and accepts public comments that enhance the information we hold about images in our collections. If you can identify a landmark or person please send details to: firstname.lastname@example.org, opens in a new window. Thank you for helping describe and caption this important historical image.
- The object depicted in the image is made of the following material(s): sandstone, laterite
- Information about the creation of the object depicted in the image: 1113-1150
- Information about the restoration of the object depicted in the image: 1948, 1950, 1954, 1961
- The Buddha Muchalinda represents the meditating seated Buddha being sheltered from the rain by a Muchalinda, a seven-headed snake. Angkor Wat is the best known and largest of all the monuments from the Angkorian period (9th-12th centuries). Suryavarman II (1113-c.1150) built Angkor Wat in the first half of the twelfth century as his state temple. Based on the temple’s orientation towards the west, scholars agree that it was likely dedicated to Visnu. The temple complex is delimited by its surrounding moats (more than 3 miles in circumference), which places it among the world’s largest religious sites with an area of 494 acres. Aside from its monumental scale, Angkor Wat is renowned for its architectural complexity, and it features cruciform terraces, naga balustrades, and elaborately carved pediments and columns. The monument is symbolic of the cosmic temple mountain, or Mount Meru, and consists of a quincunx pyramid design with concentric galleries. These galleries contain approximately 600 meters of narrative bas-reliefs illustrating scenes from the Ramayana and Mahabharata epics, and nearly 2000 depictions of Apsaras. After the movement of the capital to around Phnom Penh in the fifteenth century, the complex was transformed into a Buddhist worship site. Henri Mouhot rediscovered the site in 1860 and French colonial archeologists began excavation and restoration projects in 1901.
- Source for information about the object depicted in the image: Mannikka, Eleanor. Angkor Wat: Time, Space, and Kingship. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1996. Freeman M. and C. Jacques. Ancient Angkor. London: Thames and Hudson, 1999.
- To request permission to publish please complete the form located at the Department of Archives and Special Collections web site: http://hdl.handle.net/2286/7f5bakntwx1, opens in a new window.